You are here: HomeAbout UsGovernance PolicyAbout The Centre For Restoration › Care Approach

Centre for Restoration CARE approach


We recognise that connection with others plays a vital role in the healing and restoration

Historical records

We can request a search on your behalf for your personal records through the Historical Records Department of The Salvation Army. If you were a resident of a Salvation Army Home in Queensland you can also apply to the Child Safety Services for a copy of your admission details.

Support groups

We can help you connect with a number of support groups that exist specifically for the support and welfare of adult survivors of child abuse.


There are annual reunions for former residents of some Homes. You can obtain further details by contacting the Centre for Restoration.

Corps services

If you would like to attend a corps service, we can help connect you with your local
corps leader.

If you were a resident of a Salvation Army home in New South Wales you can apply to Community Services for a copy of your records.


We can support you in making a police report or to seek independent legal advice.

Reporting to Police

It is your choice whether you report a crime to police or not. Some people choose not to report or may not report straight away for reasons important to them.

If The Salvation Army believes that a criminal offence has been committed it may have a mandatory reporting obligation to the police.

There are several actions a victim of crime can take and these include:  

  • Engaging police and having the matter formally investigated.
  • Completing a less formal, alternative reporting option. It is important to note that this option is not a formal complaint for police to initiate a criminal investigation.

You should consider the following when deciding whether to report a crime:

  • The police can only take action against an alleged offender if a report is made.
  • If time has passed, including months or years, you can still report the crime to the police.

If you would like further information on their procedures go to: services or ask us to help you locate further information by connecting you with Police who we regularly deal with.

Independent legal advice

We can assist you in obtaining independent legal advice. Alternatively, is a free, confidential advice service for people considering sharing their experience or providing information to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.


We share with you the responsibility for your restoration journey and will work with you to achieve your care needs.

Share your experience

If you are ready to share your experience, we are ready to listen. The first step is to contact us and share your experience. You can call, write or email.

Your enquiry will be recorded and passed to one of our team who will then invite you to share your experience in a way that is most comfortable for you.

Impact statement

We encourage you to share your experience with us through a written statement. We can provide you with guidance as to how you might set out your experience. If you would like help putting this together, we can connect you with support services who can assist.


Alternatively, a member of our team will contact you to arrange an appointment where you will be able to discuss your experience with one of our trained personnel.

Counselling and support

The Salvation Army will continue to provide access to counselling and/or psychological support. Once a statement has been submitted one of our team will work with you to develop a personalised care plan which includes counselling and/or psychological support, a personal apology, the opportunity to meet with a senior Salvation Army representative and redress. Your matter will then be considered by the Complaints Committee who offer additional support services and any appropriate redress options. The Committee will also provide access to counselling and/or psychological support for you.


We recognise that continuing to educate Salvation Arm y personnel is critical to ensuring similar events never happen again.

Training & Certification

Since the 1990s all volunteers and Salvation Army personnel involved in working with children are required to attend training, as well as being required to hold clear state government certification. 

Support Services

Where we are unable to provide a direct service, you may wish to access support from external sources.

There are several agencies that provide support to survivors of abuse.

The following services may be able to provide information or help.

  • 1800 Respect 1800 737 732
  • Blue Knot Foundation 1300 657 380
  • Bravehearts 1800 272 831
  • Brolga Place 1800 16 11 09
  • Care Leavers Australia Network 1800 008 774
  • Elm Place (SA) 1800 16 11 09
  • Find & Connect Support Services 1800 16 11 09
  • Historical Abuse Network (07) 3055 8500
  • Knowmore 1800 605 762
  • Lifeline 13 11 14
  • Lotus Place (QLD) 1800 16 11 09
  • Micah Projects 07 3029 7000
  • Open Place (VIC) 1800 779 379
  • Relationships Australia 1800 025 441
  • Tuart Place (WA) 1800 16 11 09
  • Wattle Place (NSW) 1800 663 844

The Salvation Army Australia acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land on which we meet and work and pay our respect to Elders past, present and future.

We value and include people of all cultures, languages, abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, gender expressions and intersex status. We are committed to providing programs that are fully inclusive. We are committed to the safety and wellbeing of people of all ages, particularly children.

Diversity & Inclusion logo

The Salvation Army is an international movement. Our mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in his name with love and without discrimination.

13 SALVOS (13 72 58)

Gifts of $2 or more to the social work of The Salvation Army in Australia are tax deductible.Details and ABNs

Hope where it's needed most